Pages

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Straw bales

Ann has gone to England for 19 days and with the arrival of the pigs I am as busy as ever.
The weather has been dreadful and some of the less feathered laying hens are not coping too well. So far we have lost two of them and I am thinking of new ways of constructing a hen house whilst the hens have temporarily moved into the garage, roosting and pooping all over my bike, tools and of course the floor.

Straw bales are fairly cheap and insulate extremely well. They are also environmentally friendly as they compost at the end of their life. With some waterproof roofing they should be fine for a few years without external render.

I am trying to work out a design with egg boxes, door and enough light for the hens to stay indoors if the weather is really bad.
The one thing I am wondering about is the wind. As straw bales aren't as heavy as timber they might get taken by the wind.
Looks like I have lots to think about. Any suggestions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment