Pages

Monday, April 05, 2010

Hatching time

Due to the lack of broody hens this time of year I placed eggs in the incubator. One chick decided it was a bit tight in that egg and hatched last night. 2 days early. Guess who wasn't ready?














Yep. Me of course. So I had to set up the brooder this morning (which was on my todo list for tonight, mental note: even chicks can come early, be prepared) and I am now waiting for the right temperature to be reached so that I can move the chick. Usually I wouldn't open the incubator, but this little thing is hyperactive, rolling all the other eggs about. Yes, I know it's Easter, but rolling eggs is only fun when they are hard boiled!














Pretty lonely in that brooder with all the other chicks still in their eggs... Before anybody asks, this is an Ancona chick, listed as critically endangered by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.














Two days later and it's pretty busy in the brooder now. Four cream crested legbars have hatched and seven ancona chicks, one of which is all black.

0 comments:

Post a Comment