Pages

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Happy pigs

The pigs have only been with us for 10 days and they are starting to adapt to their new life very well. Since I have been feeding them from the ground from the start they have already learnt to forage for their food a bit more. This helps with keeping the excitement down. I spread the feed out in several different places which makes it impossible for the boar to protect all the food and keep it for himself.














As you can see the sows backbone is still sticking out from previously being malnourished. She is having a good time with the straw bales I have put out to soak up the moisture in the ground. It gives the pigs something to do and keeps their mind off extra feed. I have also changed the feeding times each day so that they don't get into a habit of expecting food at certain times of the day.















Since noticing that the pigs get excited when the quad bike is driving around I have made sure I fed them first before getting the quad out, then took water up to them on the quad. Couple times I have just driven past or got off the quad and gave the boar a scratch (the sow isn't keen on being scratched yet as her back bone is still sticking out and she is also more vary of people). They have since calmed down and even ignore the quad.














Both have started to listen to me and I am now teaching them to walk away from me when I ask them to. Not an easy task as they seem to think I miraculously grow food in my pockets and wellies whilst trying to fill their drinker. I am sure they will get the hang of it soon.

 












I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow the house down.....failing that I use it to scratch myself. If only I could reach between my ears. Never mind. I've already trained that bloke to do that for me.














Happy piggies and no need to hog the food, there is an endless supply. Sshhh don't tell the boar that he will have to go on a diet if he carries on like this. It will spoil his fun...

0 comments:

Post a Comment